The International English Language Testing System is an examination of international English language proficiency. Along with TOEFL, IELTS is one of the two major English-language tests in the world.
There are two versions of the IELTS-
- The Academic Version
- The General Training Version.
The Academic Version is for those who want to enroll for higher education and for professionals who want to study or practice in an English-speaking country.
The General Training Version is intended for those who want to undertake non-academic training or to gain work experience, or for immigration purposes.
IELTS is accepted by most Australian, British, Canadian, Irish, United States, New Zealand and South African academic institutions, and various professional organizations across the world. It is also a requirement for immigration to Australia and New Zealand.
- The test for study – Recognized in the top most universities and colleges all over the world, as an evidence of your language proficiency.
- The test for professionals − For those in profession, like, doctors, nurses, engineers, lawyers, teachers planning to serve in an English speaking country. Which means after qualifying in your field, you need to sit for the IELTS test to get a registration overseas.
- The test for migration − Qualifying in IELTS or its equivalent test is mandatory as a requirement for permanent residency. The governments of the UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand accept IELTS results.
The Duration of IELTS:
- The total duration of the IELTS takes around 2 hours and 55 minutes for Listening, Reading and Writing.
- Listening: 40 minutes- which includes 30 minutes of audio recording and 10 minutes of transferring answers on the answer sheet.
- Reading: 60 minutes
- Writing: 60 minutes.
- Speaking: 11–15 minutes.
Result Declaration of the IELTS:
- The results for the IELTS test are declared after 13 calender days of the date of examination.
- The candidate is provided with a single copy of the original Test Report Form (TRF) via ordinary mail. This is an important document and need to kept safely. Replacement or duplicates are not issued.
- Most of the institutions require the procurement of the original document. Screen shots and downloaded versions of the test report form are usually not accepted.
- The online results are seen available up to 28 days after the declaration. After which it cannot be obtained from searching.
- You can also obtain the result from the British Council site, but they offer the results of a few selected centers only.