Family Violence And Partner Visa – FAQ

Family violence is that unfortunate incident that can happen to anybody. In such cases, mostly people are too ashamed to talk about it. Hence, they don’t get the right guidance about from where to take the help. Understanding this gap, we have created the right bridge by answering certain important questions that loom in your head.

Q1. ‘Relevant family violence’ what is it?

A: In case your partner has threatened to be violent towards you or has been violent already then

  • you or
  • any member of your family who is included in the application
  • any member from your partner’s family
  • either your property or your family member’s property, or your partner’s family members property

that gave you or your family member a reason to fear or even be apprehensive about for your well being and safety is known as family violence.      

Q2. How can somebody prove to be the victim of family violence?

A: It is important for you to take help on this matter of family violence before the visa is granted to you. You might have evidence that might be determined either judicially or non judicially. Judicial determination claims can be any of the following:

  • an injunction against your partner by the Family Court
  • a violence restraining order against your partner which is the final order
  • criminal record of your partner reflecting violence against you or your dependents      

Any one of the these can prove the claims judicially.

Q3. Will the victim be interviewed?

A: There are chances that the victim will be interviewed about the relationship the victim shared with their partner. Those questions could be anything like:

  • How and when did you both meet each other?
  • Do you have kids?
  • What future plans do you have?
  • Who is responsible to get the meals for the household.
  • Highlight something about the house where you lived in.

There could be questions where you need to talk about the kind of family violence that you faced. All these questions are mainly asked in order to cross check whether the story that you are stating is true.

Q4. Can the victim get any compensation in case of injury due to family violence?

A: In case you have faced any sort of injury or suffered any kind of loss, this would lead to a criminal offense. In that case you have full right to claim for a compensation payment from the government.