Ranbir Singh
Book a Consultation
For professional consultation

Australia’s New Coronavirus (COVID-19) Travel Restrictions explained by Top Migration Agents Melbourne

Late on Thursday 19th March 2020, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced extensive travel restriction measures for people incoming to Australia. As a response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), from 9pm AEDT Friday 20th March 2020, only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia.

What does this mean for you and your family?

You can only travel to Australia if:

  1. You are an Australian Citizen
  2. You are a Permanent Resident of Australia
  3. You are a New Zealand Resident who resides in Australia
  4. You are an Immediate Family of an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident

Immediate family refers to:

  1. Spouses
  2. Dependents
  3. Legal Guardians

You cannot travel to Australia until you have a visa:

Everybody coming into Australia must self-isolate for 14 days either at home or at a hotel.

What if I am a visa holder in Australia?
Existing visa holders must apply for a new visa before the current one expires. You may be able to get a bridging visa to keep you legitimate until a decision is made on your visa application.

  1. What do I do if my visa has a ‘no further stay condition’ (Includes 8503, 8534 and 8535)

This means you must leave Australia before applying for most other visas. If you have less than 2 months validity left, you can apply for a waiver here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/already-have-a-visa/check-visa-details-and-conditions/waivers-and-permissions/no-further-stay-waiver

  1. What if my visa has the condition 8558 (Non-Resident cannot stay for more than 12 months in any 18 month period)

You will need to apply for a visa that suits your needs. If your visa has expired, you need to apply for a Bridging Visa E (BVE) immediately to ensure you are staying in Australia legitimately.

What if I am an International Student in Australia?


To help with the critical labour shortage in certain sectors, the Australian Government has developed a few exceptions to the Student Visa work restrictions:

  1. Australia’s major Supermarkets can temporarily offer more casual hours to International Students. This only applies to existing employees in existing roles.
  2. Australia’s aged care can also temporarily offer more casual hours to International Students. This also applies to existing employees in existing roles

Ordinarily International Students are only allowed to work 40 hours a fortnight. With these exceptions employers can assign more hours. Contact your employer for more information.


Students who are stuck overseas may need to have their study deferred. This will not affect your visa status.

If you require more time to finish your degree (beyond your visa expiry date):

  1. You will need to apply for a new student visa
  2. You will need a new confirmation of enrolment

Some visas cannot be extended. You will need to apply for a new visa.

What if I currently hold a bridging visa?

If your bridging visa expires while you are outside Australia, you will need to apply for another visa. You cannot apply for a Bridging Visa outside Australia.

About Global Migrations – Registered Migration Agent in Melbourne

Mr Ranbir Singh, an experienced Migration Agent, has been an authority on all types of Australian Visas. With an extensive background in both Finance and Education, Ranbir has an enhanced understanding of the challenges facing Visa Applicants in Australia. If you are looking for Visa advice following the Australian response to the Coronavirus, call Global Migrations on +61 433 840 304.


Source: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/current-alerts/novel-coronavirus